« Home | Weekend of Fun » | Public Transport Nightmare » | Discussion of Cerberus purchasing Chrysler » | Random ramblings about today » | Into The Real World Now » | The Power of Proactivity » | The Biggest Problem with India » | India Hot Hot for VC activity » | Deadly Mumbai Local Trains » | Condolences for Virginia Tech Shootout Victims » 

Friday, June 01, 2007 

Its All About Perspective

The other day, I was discussing Mitt Romney as a president with a friend at UVF and an interesting question came up that I haven't thought about. I live in Utah and most of my friends are Mormon. Romney is also a Mormon. So far, I have not come across a single Utahn who is supporting anybody other than Mitt yet.

Not that I can vote here or anything, but if it counts, I am supporting Mitt Romney too. I am not a Mormon (though a friend from Boston is convinced I have turned into one after living here. He often starts our IM chats by calling me that). I usually lean towards the democrats, but for this election, I really think that Mitt Romney is the best candidate we have so far. I don't care so much about his leanings as much as I care about his experience.

Mitt founded Bain Capital and led it for many years. He came back to Bain & Co (the management consulting company) when it was floundering and in one year turned it around to profitability without cutting any jobs. He led the 2004 Salt Lake Winter Olympics to profitability that no other Olympics in recent times has been able to do at least since 1984. He did a great job as Massachusetts governor as well. Nothing of this is new. But I really think that Mitt will be able to undo some of the mess President Bush has made including turning around the National Budget Deficit.

At this point, my friend was surprised that I care about America's deficit. Being from India, he thought that I would have cared more for Indian interests and wouldnt want the deficit to be turned around into a surplus. I can see some logic in it, but am confused whether that line of thinking truly holds at all? There are multiple questions here. First, Is America's deficit realy better for India's interests? I would argue No but I am sure that a counter argument exists. Also, so far my line of thinking has been to think about whats good for America - in an objective sense. Second question, should foreigners in another country care really about what is good for your own home country in terms of world economics or world politics? Do Americans living in other countries only think about whats best for America with regards to events in the country they are living in? How do other foreigners living in America think?

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Indyman
  • From Seattle, WA, United States
  • I am a Risk Management Consultant at KPMG. Before this, I was an Investment Associate at University Venture Fund in Salt Lake City, UT. My personal interests are in venture capital, private equity, technology, real estate, entrepreneurship, investing, stocks, india, patriotism, mumbai, hanoi, vietnam and life in the united states.
  • My profile
  • Email me

Archives

  • Harsha
  • Hrishi
  • Mike
  • Neha
  • Nitya
  • Saurav
  • Smitha
  • Suraj
  • Thanh
  • Thao
  • -->

    Other Blogs

  • My Utah Homepage
  • My OWU Homepage
  • My trip to Viet Nam in 2005 (OWU Team blog)
  • Blogger Templates
  • TravelPod
  • Google Blog
  • Offstumped
  • -->
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates

    Visitors since December 2005