« Home | Greed and The Desire to Achieve » | Back in the business » | This friday routine I got... » | Stories from Detroit » | What would you call Shiv Sena? Patriotic or anti-n... » | Mumbai Blasts - A letter to the Terrorists from Mu... » | Spring is here... finally » | While I was browsing a friend's album on facebook,... » | Melanie and Adam visit Salt Lake City » | Only in India... » 

Saturday, February 10, 2007 

Is the Satisfaction of Doing a Few Things Enough?

At the behest of my dear friend, I am trying to understand myself better. I always thought I know myself very well. I know I am ambitious, and always want better for myself and the people around me. And ideally, the best for my country too (yes, I kind of feel patriotic most of the times somehow. more about that in some other post).

But I have never realized that maybe I am over-doing it. In the quest to know a lot, always do interesting, challenging things, I may be pushing myself too hard. I always judge myself. I am never satisfied with my current situation. The grass is always greener somewhere where I am not. And that place is always much farther than just the-other-side.

Heres what I mean: I am working towards an advanced degree in computer science. And that takes up all my time. But I am not content with just that. I like venture capital as well. So I am working at a $18M venture fund to gain experience in that. Its great experience and I love doing this. But until recently, I didnt understand that this is not common for most graduate students. Classes, projects, TAing takes up almost all the time for most everyone, including me. And then I find some more hours to devote to that. And then I decided to add to my love for trading and stocks by writing an automated trading system in Java using Interactive Brokers' Trading API. That took a few months of additional weekend nights.

All that is fun, but its crazy. Hectic. Beyond hectic. I hope that now you can start to cope the demands I make of myself all the time. Its not easy at all to do all these things at the same time and to do them reasonably well. And yet I have been doing it for quite some time now. Without even realizing that I am doing this.

And then I wonder why I feel so stressed out sometimes. Do many other people feel the same way? Like there is so much stuff to do and so little time? How do you use your time? Do you focus on one thing at a time (time being used as the period of a couple of months or so - counting all the major stuff going on in one's life at some given point)? Are many people the same as me? Or am I a unique species?

About me

  • I'm Indyman
  • From Seattle, WA, United States
  • I am a Risk Management Consultant at KPMG. Before this, I was an Investment Associate at University Venture Fund in Salt Lake City, UT. My personal interests are in venture capital, private equity, technology, real estate, entrepreneurship, investing, stocks, india, patriotism, mumbai, hanoi, vietnam and life in the united states.
  • My profile
  • Email me

Archives

  • Harsha
  • Hrishi
  • Mike
  • Neha
  • Nitya
  • Saurav
  • Smitha
  • Suraj
  • Thanh
  • Thao
  • -->

    Other Blogs

  • My Utah Homepage
  • My OWU Homepage
  • My trip to Viet Nam in 2005 (OWU Team blog)
  • Blogger Templates
  • TravelPod
  • Google Blog
  • Offstumped
  • -->
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates

    Visitors since December 2005