« Home | What would you call Shiv Sena? Patriotic or anti-n... » | Mumbai Blasts - A letter to the Terrorists from Mu... » | Spring is here... finally » | While I was browsing a friend's album on facebook,... » | Melanie and Adam visit Salt Lake City » | Only in India... » | An update on my fractured knee... » | Google Launches Google Finance... » | The return of KMCL » | The kneebreaker jump... » 

Sunday, August 06, 2006 

Stories from Detroit

I just finished reading Lee Iacocca: An Autobiography. And it was hell of a good read. I would recomment it to anyone who loves reading about business. In short, Lee Iacocca was a son of Italian immigrants who started with Ford Motor Company as a student engineer and moved to the business side pretty soon. He moved up the ranks and became the President. He was the father of the Mustang and other cars during his twenty-three years at Ford. When he was fired suddenly by Henry Ford, he joined Chrysler Corp and helped bail out the ailing company in a very short span. In the process, he became a celebrity of sorts - admired by many in the business world.

This book is full of interesting business stories and his views on things like labor relations, management excesses, turning aroung a dying company, dealing with the government and so on. It does manage to stimulate the reader through various twists and sometimes it feels like I am reading fiction. Its fun! But sometimes it does get rote when he introduces random people he worked with into the book and mentions some of his personal grudges with other people. Nevertheless, its a great book overall.

It goes into showing what all one must go through to be there and do that - at the very top of the corporate ladder. Its a true success story - and an attestation to the fact that this is still the land of dreams - where any body who cares to dream big and does the hard work, gets a fair shot at achieving that dream. That American Dream.

About me

  • I'm Indyman
  • From Seattle, WA, United States
  • I am a Risk Management Consultant at KPMG. Before this, I was an Investment Associate at University Venture Fund in Salt Lake City, UT. My personal interests are in venture capital, private equity, technology, real estate, entrepreneurship, investing, stocks, india, patriotism, mumbai, hanoi, vietnam and life in the united states.
  • My profile
  • Email me

Archives

  • Harsha
  • Hrishi
  • Mike
  • Neha
  • Nitya
  • Saurav
  • Smitha
  • Suraj
  • Thanh
  • Thao
  • -->

    Other Blogs

  • My Utah Homepage
  • My OWU Homepage
  • My trip to Viet Nam in 2005 (OWU Team blog)
  • Blogger Templates
  • TravelPod
  • Google Blog
  • Offstumped
  • -->
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates

    Visitors since December 2005