« Home | Dear Mom » | I want to ride a Minsk up country » | Break up » | A knack for solving problems? » | Is something wrong with Yahoo's anti-spam algorithm? » | What is peace? » | Happy Birthday Dad » | Mumbai » | Ha Noi, the city I miss so much! » | My office in the School of Computing, University o... » 

Friday, December 09, 2005 

The importance of faith in our day to day life

This and the previous month have been a roller coaster ride for me. They've brought great news on academic and career fronts. I've also faced many crunch times academically when many things in different classes piled up on me at the same time, and I somehow managed to successfully handle them all. It felt awesome. I was on top of the world. At the same time however, on a personal front, the same period has been a bummer. It shown me the lowest of lows. Lots of things have changed. Unexpectedly. Unreasonably. Many things I would have never imagined could go wrong have gone wrong.

I care about my work a lot. I believe in maintaining a strict work-life balance (Work-life balance and how I have maintained it so well in the past - especially working an internship and an on-campus job, while being a full time student at the same time - is another topic I want to blog about some other day), and even though I am in graduate school I treat it seriously like I do any work. However, when the hours are long (I'm working until 4 am in the morning most days and then usually get up and go to "work" (school) again at 8 am) the lines between work and life often get blurred. I have worked hard to not let my personal life affect my academics, many times with success, however failing sometimes as well.

Recently however, my own faith has emerged as the sole way that could help me stay composed and focussed. I must admit that it hasnt always worked out for me. But I believe that that is solely because I have been spending lesser time believing, thinking and working on my own faith. Actually thats true since I began college four years ago. I forgot God when there was too much work and too many things to think about. In fact, as much as I hate to admit it, there have been times when I have gone months without even thinking about my faith.

Hence it is only reasonable and expected, that it would take time for me to build my belief in my religion back to the level when it was an important part of my life. Back to the level where it helps me face any quirk life throws at me. Not that it ever took up a lot of my time, but I at least spent some time almost everyday thinking about it, about God, my life and so on. Somewhere along the way, I gave up God's company and started walking alone. Funny how now that I am alone, I seek God's company.

In difficult times, people rediscover their faiths and so have I. I am glad for it. Its God's way of reminding me that I have forgotten him. I wish God has less evil tactics of reminding me that. But seriously, how much importance should one give to faith in day to day life so that we consistently maintain that connection throughout our life - be it when we are really busy and the going is smooth or when we are still really busy and the going is bumpy.

About me

  • I'm Indyman
  • From Seattle, WA, United States
  • I am a Risk Management Consultant at KPMG. Before this, I was an Investment Associate at University Venture Fund in Salt Lake City, UT. My personal interests are in venture capital, private equity, technology, real estate, entrepreneurship, investing, stocks, india, patriotism, mumbai, hanoi, vietnam and life in the united states.
  • My profile
  • Email me

Archives

  • Harsha
  • Hrishi
  • Mike
  • Neha
  • Nitya
  • Saurav
  • Smitha
  • Suraj
  • Thanh
  • Thao
  • -->

    Other Blogs

  • My Utah Homepage
  • My OWU Homepage
  • My trip to Viet Nam in 2005 (OWU Team blog)
  • Blogger Templates
  • TravelPod
  • Google Blog
  • Offstumped
  • -->
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates

    Visitors since December 2005