« Home | The return of KMCL » | The kneebreaker jump... » | Of Winter Olympics and More... » | My Name in Vietnamese » | My Birthday » | Exxon Mobil posts highest profits for any US compa... » | Customer Service Done Right, Fifth Third Bank » | Street Kids in Vietnam » | Life is a kaleidoscope » | The new signboard at OWU makes me go eeeks! » 

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 

Google Launches Google Finance...

... And its awesome. I am already a convert. I have always used Yahoo! Finance enthusiastically and even though I explored other options like MSN Money Central, Fool.com, Marketwatch, nothing came close to Yahoo! Finance.

But with Ajax, Google Finance definitely kicks ass (There is a reason I am not using the term "Web 2.0" here. Web 2.0 is not only Ajax, and I dont think it is here completely yet). One thing I really love is that the chart view is customizable. Go on over to an example (Google's stock) to see. Not only can you zoom into the chart using 1d, 5d, 1m, 3m, 6m .. standards that Yahoo's chart function allows, but if you click on the scrollers in the centre of the historical chart above, you can customize the period that you view the chart for. And it automatically pulls the news headlines for that time period on the right side. Even better, the news stories are tagged on the chart so you can analyze what major events caused the stock to go up or down.

Now scroll down to the Management section. As you roll over the names, you can see a quick summary and a picture of the person. No more clicking on each page and waiting for the page to load. Yay!

Another cool feature is that it remembers your last few quotes. Next time you go over to the homepage you can see the last few quotes in the "Recent Quotes" section.

I think Google Finance offers pretty much everything that Yahoo Finance offers and makes it better. There's probably more, but I will only be able to explore it more over the weekend.

Lately, I have kind of been mad at the rate at which new web services have been launching, all trying to make use of Ajax. But in the rush to get the product out there, getting it out half-baked. And that is usually very annoying. But I am very happy with Google Finance and I think they've taken full advantage of the new technology and used it appropriately (and not overdone it. This is very important).

Tagged: , ,

About me

  • I'm Indyman
  • From Seattle, WA, United States
  • I am a Risk Management Consultant at KPMG. Before this, I was an Investment Associate at University Venture Fund in Salt Lake City, UT. My personal interests are in venture capital, private equity, technology, real estate, entrepreneurship, investing, stocks, india, patriotism, mumbai, hanoi, vietnam and life in the united states.
  • My profile
  • Email me

Archives

  • Harsha
  • Hrishi
  • Mike
  • Neha
  • Nitya
  • Saurav
  • Smitha
  • Suraj
  • Thanh
  • Thao
  • -->

    Other Blogs

  • My Utah Homepage
  • My OWU Homepage
  • My trip to Viet Nam in 2005 (OWU Team blog)
  • Blogger Templates
  • TravelPod
  • Google Blog
  • Offstumped
  • -->
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates

    Visitors since December 2005